Sunday, January 23, 2011

POW #2

The Snapshot I will always remember the most in my life is my Grandpa. However this post isn’t about that he died or he has cancer, in fact I can still somewhat hold a conversation with him. The thing is he suffered a horrible brain injury when I was about 8 that literally knocked him silly, it is similar to dementia but he’s not crazy he’s just confused. He slipped on ice cracked his head open and knocked himself out. My grandma found about an hour later suffering from hypothermia and near death. I was so little at the time I didn’t realize the extent of his injuries until in recent years. It hurts our entire family that he will never be the same he was ever again. The thing that bothers me the most however is the memories that I had with him when he was normal are slowly fading away. I cannot fathom how my dad coped with this but he seems to be the strongest out of our entire family. I have had to get to know a whole other person but it has also brought its benefits. He stays at a home now and it is a learning opportunity for me to see other people who have Alzheimer’s and other medical problems. Even though I “lost” my grandpa years ago I still love him to death and I now can understand the other families with loved ones with brain injuries.   

1 comment:

  1. Hunter - That is a great picture and a very touching story. Well done!

    ReplyDelete